On 1875 the Roseni Waba Aja Wabrik buildings reached the first stage of completion. The same year number is on the wind arrow at the roof of the tower. Over hundred year spirit has been brewed in these buildings.
The industrial revolution that began on the 19th century gave a big push to the development of the Estonian spirit industry. Thanks to the more scientific approach the manufacturing costs were lowered and the quality of the spirit was improved. Considering the great importance of the spirit production in the manor economy the Eestimaa Rüütelkond (The Estonian Knight Guild) decided to establish a centralized spirit purifying factory. A new building rose fast (in one year) to a place that once was a vegetable growing ground. The long and low building had a quite a peculiar pseudo novel style planned by the architect Nikolai Thamm Sen.
When comparing the look of that building to today’s appearance then there are some differences. At the time when it was built there was no stone chimney and the higher part of the building was a bit lower. There was no administrative building (currently Mere Avenue 8) towards the sea.
When walking down the Mere Avenue and carefully watching the facade of the building is seems like the current restaurant Ö and the nightclub BON-BON are separate buildings. Actually they are planned and built with the same part that today holds the café RISTRETTO and the pub SCOTLAND YARD. This notion is assured by the planning project and also the picture done at the completion of the building.
To govern the established industrial enterprise a limited company was formed (Anteil-Gesellschaft der Revaler Spirit-Fabrik) that’s statute was approved by the emperor at 23rd of September on 1876. From the completion until the year 1883 the director of the fatory was E. Lauenstein. After some time it became apparent that he was not up to his tasks and he was relieved from duty. The new director was appointed Arved Rosen who belonged to the Rosen noble family and has studied law at Tartu and was working at the county tax attorney’s office as a junior district inspector. He was chosen because a reasonable and unbiased man was needed who would not lead according to his personal interests. The choice was correct as proved by the coming years. It became apparent that Arved Rosen has natural organizing capabilities, great communicational skills and high intelligence.
Thanks to him the grasp of the enterprise expanded over Estonian borders. Prosperous times started for the company. Arved Rosen stayed as director until his death on 1903. According to his wish his successor was his own brother Alexander Rosen. In contradiction to Arved who settled with a modest position after elected as a director, Alexander had achieved much more, he had worked in Liibav and in Moscow as branch manager. Meaning he was well aware about the company’s issues and need practically no introductory time. And really, if during the era of Arved the factory’s development was good then Alexander made it excellent. He is remembered as an extraordinarily gifted businessman and economic leader.
On 1884 the county government was asked for a building permission to extend the factory building that situated near the street. Today the address of that extension is Mere Avenue 6. On the ground floor was for a cask work-shop now there is AS LIVIKO brand store and PEETRI PIZZA. On top of the cask work-shop was a cask board storage room and an apartment for the cask master, today these rooms are offices. Strong iron bars support the second floor, and these bars are in turn supported by rare massive tube-like iron pillars.
On 1895 the company was rented to a limited stock company Rosen & ko.
On 1898 first internal firewalls were built. At the same time a small annexe with windows was built on the sea side to the mid section of the building.
On 1896 the factory is renamed to Spirit Purifying Factories Union.
On the spring of the 1920’s the profit of the factory (at that time called Liqueur and Snaps Factory “Tallinn Vodka Factory) grew and thoughts about renewals started to emerge. On 1921 liqueur section started off.
On 1924 the rectification equipment was modernized. It became apparent that the room was too low for the new equipment. According to the project of architect Chritfried Lehberti the ceilings were elevated. For this a new arced was built to the industrial buildings cornice and the staircase gable was raised.
Bigger rebuilding and restoration works were done on 1939 when among other things a fine vodka department was established (work started on 1940).
After the war the production of spirit in the building continued until the winter of 1995. After that the equipment was dismantled and the rooms stayed empty for some years (except for Peetri Pizza and Liviko brand store).
According to the regulation number 23 by the Cultural Minister from 13th of May 1997 the rectification building’s façade was certified as architectural attraction. Spirit factory’s big and small brick chimneys were certified as architectural attractions by the Cultural Minister with regulation number 2 at 3rd of May on 2000.
On 2000 the property was acquired by Rosen Majad Ltd and the restoration works were started immediately.
Everyone is welcomed to come and see what has been restored and what kind of a life the factory building is currently living.
Today, in addition to the bowling club Kuulsaal, the Rosen Tower party and seminar room, the Scotland Yard pub, the Kaks Kokka restaurant and others operate in the historic distillery building. quality restaurants.